Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The "Tolerance" of "marriage equality" supporters

It has been a day now since everyone and their brother began changing their facebook profile picture to a red and pink rendition of the famous "equality" symbol of the gay marriage lobby. I have been increasingly observing behavior and sound bites from this crowd, which I find disturbing and disheartening. It has certainly been coming to a crescendo over the last day or so. Such observations make me wonder; Can the push for "marriage equality" exist without name calling? And as the agenda progresses will the aggression progress as well? First they called us "homophobes" (I have yet to meet one diagnosed with such a condition), now it is "never mind you aren't a homophobe you're an a**hole" or simply "don't be a jerk."

I get why supporters of "marriage equality" think they are justified to act this way. They believe they are simply giving the ideological persecutors of homosexuals, especially gay youth, what they deserve. However, I have two things in response to that.

1) Usually the first evidence marshaled forward to prove that Christians and conservatives are the ideological persecutors of homosexuals is a 50 member cult from Kansas that calls itself a baptist church. However, sometimes it is hard to discern who their actual supporters are. What do I mean? Well,I have worked in several Christian bookstores, and let me tell you, plenty of weirdos and wackos would come in from all over the spectrum. However, never once did I hear someone say something like, "Yanno I really like those Westboro guys, they tell it like it is." I really never heard them come up in conversation at all. Nor do I now. Most Christians roll their eyes at Westboro Baptist church and do so for deeply rooted theological and Gospel-centered reasons. The only people I see talking about Westboro baptist "church" constantly, and the people that I see constantly shining the spotlight on them, are liberals. It becomes very hard not to think that liberals do that simply to demonizes conservatives, and thus justify their vicious tone towards us.

2) If one is talking about gay bullying amongst teens, then I admit shamefully that I probably would have participated in that behavior in my teenage years. I may have, I cannot remember. But before I was 21 I was not religious at all, and I really didn't care about marriage. I made fun of gay people because I was an immature, dumb kid. Further, I never saw any of my self-identified Christian classmates leading the charge against them, which is what we would expect if the Christophobia of most liberals were true. The bullying of homosexuals does not occur because of "religious propaganda" or because marriage is restricted to heterosexual monogamy. Gays are bullied because other kids think it is weird and gross.

Not only are both of those categories an invalid example of Christian or conservative thought/behavior towards homosexuals, but they do no represent anything near the mainstream population of individuals who oppose gay marriage. So then, that reasoning now being taken off the table, I return to my original question; can the push for "marriage equality" exist without name calling and by fairly dealing with the opposition's actual arguments? I am not sure that they can. Why is that? Because we are (for the most part) dealing with people who are ethically and emotionally opposed to God's order in the world. They simply are not interested in listening to the opposition or being fair.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due [...] who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them." (Romans 1:18-25,32)

In the beginning of my post I said I was disturbed and disheartened by this behavior. However, I qualify that with the fact that given what the Apostle Paul tells us above, I am also not surprised. We live in a godless, idolatrous culture, and the moral decadence that we have been slowly descending into is simply the outworking of the judgment of God. Paul tells that such a culture becomes futile and foolish in their thoughts, all while feigning themselves to be "enlightened" and "progressive." Because they have turned from the Creator and are in rebellion against him, they can no longer discern the pattern and order of nature He has imposed upon it, while also actively perverting it and approving of those who do. Will this cultural aggression continue as sin progresses? Be certain of it. One of the most powerful psychological forces is the conscience. A guilty conscience can drive a man to drink, in order to shut it up, and it can also drive him to be violent towards those who would side with his conscience. I believe that is exactly what we are seeing, especially with this incident

So we must not be okay with this behavior, but we also shouldn't be surprised. And of course the only valid response for a Christian is to continue to speak the truth in love, and show the people who claim to be all about "love," what love really is.

"Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." 2 Tim. 2:23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment